Okay, so I am stuck on blue cheese! There is something about a good salad-one that is creamy, crunchy, chewy, sweet, sour, bitter, and tangy. This salad is just that. The sweetness of candied pecans is an important balance to the tangy and bitter flavors from the other elements. With caramelized pear slices that are both impressive and festive, this salad would make a nice, light first course for company.
Pear and Blue Cheese Salad
makes 4 small salads or 2 large salads, prep 10, cook 5 min
- 1/4 cup olive oil or salad oil
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 cups salad greens
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced
- 2 ripe pears, cut into 8 slices each
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup candied pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup blue cheese or Gorgonzola crumbles
- In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, set aside.
- Wash salad green and combine with red onions in a large salad bowl.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add pears and sprinkle with sugar. Cook without stirring several minutes or until underside is golden and caramelized, flip each slice over.
- Cook second side until golden and browning.
- Toss lettuce and onions with 1/2 of dressing, arrange on plates or a platter.
- Top with pears, nuts, cheese, and drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve.
WANT INK…? Get it at www.shopinkcosmetics.com!