“People should fall in love with their egos closed.” – Andy Warhol
No better way to intro this trendy yet relaxed little treasure located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. I stopped at Bittersweet Catering for a quick snack and refreshment before braving my shopping adventure. My sweet-tooth was screaming mini carrot cupcakes.
They were small enough to eat in one bite but I had to savor every moment. I immediate began to think about how I could make these babies at home.
Here is the breakdown.
What you need:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots (from about 6 medium carrots)
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line 14 muffin cups with paper liners. Spray the liners with vegetable-oil spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the canola oil. Gradually beat in the sugar at medium-high speed and beat until thick, about 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. Fold in the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula, then fold in the carrots.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool slightly, then transfer the cupcakes to the freezer to chill.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip with the Cream Cheese Frosting. Pipe the frosting onto the carrot cupcakes and serve. Alternatively, use a knife to spread the frosting on the cupcakes and serve.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar (8 ounces)
What to do:
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the vanilla and confectioners’ sugar, then beat at high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy.
I bit of history: During the 1980s, Andy Warhol created a series of silkscreen prints depicting the bottles of sparkling water brand Perrier expressed in a bold color palette. 30 years later, Perrier pays tribute to Warhol with the release of a limited-edition series of bottles, featuring his original art on four different label designs. The designs are accompanied by some of his quotes including: “everybody must have a fantasy”; “people should fall in love with their eyes closed”; “in the future everyone will be world famous for fifteen minutes”; “art is what you can get away with” and “I have social disease. I have to go out every night”. These beauties became available on June 24th, 2013.
Want INK…? Get it at Shop INK Cosmetics!