So, it’s already April and I feel like I just started the year. I have been TDY about 16 times in the last 7 months or so and haven’t really had a moment to just be present. In my efforts to get my shit together, I thought I might attempt to make every Monday mindful.
What does this mean exactly?
Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us.
Guide to mindfulness meditation:
First you should ensure you have a place to meditate. It should not be too noisy or disturbing. The point is to quiet your mind and work to focus on the moment. Be present. Try not to place yourself in a situation where you are easily annoyed, angered or forced to induce other unwanted emotions which could affect your meditation.
- Find a place you can lie or sit which is quiet and comfortable. Your body should not feel stiff. Relax your head, neck, and back.
- Stay in the present. Do not focus or think of things of the past or future.
- Concentrate on your breathing, focusing on the sensation of air moving in and out of your body as you breathe. Feel your belly rise and fall, the air enter your nostrils and leave your mouth. Pay attention to the way each breath changes and is different.
- Pay attention to the thoughts that cross your mind, whether it is a worry, fear, anxiety or hope. Do not ignore them or try to suppress them. Just note the feeling/thought, breathe through it and allow it to float away.
- When you find yourself getting carried away in your thoughts, observe where your mind went off to, without judging, and simply return to your breathing. Do not be hard on yourself if this happens.
- As the time draws to a close, sit for a minute or two, becoming aware of where you are. Get up gradually.
Benefits of mindfulness meditation:
Distress your mind healing your body
Experience peace through compassion
Remove anxiety | bring calm to monkey mind
Encourage emotional healing
Promote mental clarity & building self compassion
For the next several weeks I will plan to make my Monday mornings a time to reflect and prepare myself for the week of work to come. Following my session I will sit quietly with a cup of tea. I will focusing on every sip, the smell, feel of the warm cup in my hand, and pay close attention to the taste of it. Then I will finish with a deep breath, a stretch, and state my daily affirmation to set me up for a positive and successful week ahead. I hope you will join me and we would love to hear about it!
NAMASTE my friends,
XO Anna “Jo-Jo” Castillo
Want more? Check out www.inkcosmetics.com